Auckland Action Against Poverty aims to directly challenge welfare reform and works with our friends and allies to build a movement towards a socially just society.
If you would like to get involved in our actions- give an email to contact(at)aaap.org.nz or chris.zack(at)aaap.org.nz
Some activities since we started include:
- 3 December 2010 – First picket outside Henderson Work & Income offices highlighting our opposition to National’s welfare programme. Formal submission to the Government Welfare Working Group.
- 22 February 2011 – Picket & occupation of Minister Paula Bennett’s office to protest the release of the WWG report.
- 15 May 2011 – ‘Race to the bottom’ budget rally outside Sky City where John Key was speaking to the business elite.
- 22 July 2011 – Picketed Tory minister Iain Duncan Smith, responsible for welfare cuts in the UK, when he spoke at a Maxim Institute dinner in Auckland.
- 30 October 2011 – Picket outside & action inside National Party election campaign launch, protesting welfare reform plans.
- 4 February 2012 – Successful & fun fundraising gig at the Kings Arms with bands & artists Heart Attack Alley, Shitripper, Lubin Rains, DJ Tina Turntables, Moppy & Plum Green, who donated their services for free. Thanks!
- Two actions in one day in response to the National Party Budget on May 24th.
- Occupation of MSD regional Head office in Auckland in response to the second wave of welfare reform.
- We are currently making plans for more actions and other activity for 2012.
- We have formed ourselves into an Incorporated Society, set up a number of groups which carry out the work of the organisation and hold regular meetings of members and supporters.
- If you would like to be on our mailing list as a member or supporter, please contact us contact(at)aaap.org.nz